Charles Gordon Campbell

(22/10/1885 - 30/07/1963)

Charles Henry Gordon Campbell, 2nd Baron Glenavy (1885–1963), was deeply connected to the Dublin suburb of Kimmage, where he resided at his family home, Clonard, located on Kimmage Road. Born in October 22, 1885, Campbell was the eldest son of James Henry Mussen Campbell, the first Baron Glenavy, and Emily McCullagh.

Educated at Crawley’s preparatory school and Charterhouse School, Campbell’s early life was marked by academic rigour and intellectual curiosity. Following his studies, he pursued a career in law, being called to the English bar at Gray’s Inn in 1911 and later to the Irish bar in 1920.

Campbell’s personal life was marked by his marriage to Beatrice Moss Elvery in 1912, with whom he had two sons, Patrick Campbell and Michael Campbell, and one daughter, Biddy.

In September 1922, Campbell returned to Ireland and assumed the role of secretary of the Department of Industry and Commerce, where he advocated for policies aimed at promoting industrial development and increasing employment. Despite facing opposition, Campbell championed initiatives such as the Shannon hydroelectric scheme and tariff concessions to stimulate economic growth. Later as a director of the Bank of Ireland and governor of the Central Bank of Ireland, Campbell played a significant role in shaping economic policies that impacted communities across Ireland.

Despite his professional commitments, Campbell remained deeply engaged with the cultural and social life of Kimmage and Dublin at large. His residence at Clonard served as a hub for intellectual discourse and artistic endeavours, hosting gatherings with notable figures such as D. H. Lawrence, Katherine Mansfield, and George Bernard Shaw.

Campbell’s tenure at Clonard was not without challenges. On Christmas Eve 1922, the estate suffered significant damage in an arson attack, a stark reminder of the political tensions and unrest that marked the early years of the Irish Free State. Despite this setback, Campbell remained undeterred in his commitment to his home and community.

Campbell was deeply involved in local affairs, serving as president of the council of the Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital from 1932 to 1963. His philanthropy extended to supporting initiatives such as the establishment of a peat briquette factory at Lullymore in Co. Kildare, demonstrating his dedication to improving the lives of those in his community.

In his later years, Campbell continued to reside at Clonard, where he remained a respected and influential figure until his passing on July 30, 1963. His legacy as a statesman, scholar, and community leader endures, leaving an mark on the history of Kimmage and Dublin.

Person Photo
Connection with area: Civil servant and banker who lived in a house called Clonard, Kimmage Road.