Chapel (Chp.)

Owner / Occupier Information:

October 1970 paper article.
FROM 1726 to 1935, this old Penal Day chapel 01 St. Agnes served the Catholics of Crumlin. It was for a time part of Rathfarnham parish, then It was attached to Lucan and Clondalkin, tl!l In 1894 It became part of the united parish of Crumlin and Terenure. This humble shrine became dilapldated down the years, but In 1867 It had a major renovation and It still serves Crumlin parish–as- an assembly hall. Things are changed since John D’Aiton came here about 1838 and found seventy children attending the Catholic school and “a very limited number” at the Protestant. But down to the 1930’s Crumlin remained undeveloped and this little tower overlooked green fields. The “Commons of Crumlin” lay all around thls old chapel, they were enclosed by a special Act of Parliament, In 1818. – Eleven years later four acres of the former Common were sold at £245 per acre to a Joseph Scully. Opposite the old chapel wag the red-brick Crumlin House, built about 1710 by a lawyer, Joseph Deane, who rose to be Chief Baron of the Exchequer (The Bite Is now part 01 Pearse Memorial Park.)

Thom’s Directory
================

1847-1855: [no priest mentioned]
1856-1866: Rev. Tiernan Terence Dolan
1867-1868: Rev. John O. Molloy
1869-1884: Rev. Martin Walshe
1885-1891: Rev. John Grimley
1892-1894: Rev. Edward Mackey
1896: Rev. Thomas Byrne
1897: Rev. Henry Mooney
1898-1904: Rev. Thomas Byrne
1911-1917: Rev. L. Sheehan
1918-1922: Rev. Timothy O’Callaghan, chaplain
1924-1949: Rev. Patrick O’Keeffe, chaplain


Appears in the following maps:
Building Details
Longitude: -6.315470350742661
Latitude: 53.31819946199859
Crumlin Road
Still exists: No Date built: 1725 Date first mentioned: 1725 Date last mentioned: 1935