Crumlin House (Salesian University Hostel, Mansion House)

Edmund Purcell was granted land in Crumlin in 1609.


Owner / Occupier Information:

Thom’s Directory
1831-1832 William Collins [“Mr. Collins of Crumlin House was probably a manager for the Purcell family who had lived there for two centuries” – Frank Oman, ‘Old Crumlin disappearing’, in ‘Chat”, Mar. 1972.]
1847 – 1856 Ignatius Francis Purcell

1858 Miss Purcell
1859 – 1864 Misses Purcell (Crumlin house, Rosebush)
1865 – 1869 Joseph Morgan (Crumlin house, Rosebush)
1870 Francis John Purcell (Crumlin house)
1871 – 1875 Francis John Purcell (Mansion house)
1876 Mrs. Armstrong (Mansion house)
1877 – 1903 George Hollwey
1880 – 1881 Arth. Kenney
1882 – 1904 George Hollwey
1905 – 1915 P. G. Hollwey
1916 – 1930 P. J. Hollwey
1931 Vacant
1932 – 1949 Edward Power

Because of the name Francis John Purcell. Mansion House must be an alternative name for Crumlin House. Presumably, as the house named after the townland, it was regarded as the mansion house for the parish.


Appears in the following maps:
Building Details
Longitude: -6.3130398
Latitude: 53.31821688502232
Still exists: Yes
Date built: 1760c
Date first mentioned: 1760c
Road(s): St. Teresa’s Road