St. Colm's Christian Brother School

The school was opened in 1939 by the Christian Brothers to cater for the new suburb of Crumlin. It is a boys’ senior school from second to sixth class. The school was divided into three sections, Scoil a hAon, Scoil a Dó and Scoil a Trí, until the late 1980s.

At its peak in the 1950s/1960s, there were over 1,500 pupils in total between the three schools. The teaching staff was predominantly made up of Christian Brothers in the early years. The school was noted for its achievements in the hurling field.

The last Christian Brother employed in the school left in 1996 and since then there has been a fully lay staff. At the start of the new Millenium, the Christian Brothers decided to hand on responsibility for all of their schools in Ireland to a group of lay people. The schools, including Scoil Colm, are now run by the Edmund Rice Schools Trust
– From Scoil Colm website


Owner / Occupier Information:

Thom’s Directory
1941-1949 St. Columbas Christian Brothers School


Appears in the following maps:
Related People:
Columba - Saint Colum Cille whom a school on Armagh Road was named after. Read More ...

Building Details
Longitude: -6.307520852338236
Latitude: 53.32060359974907
Still exists: Yes
Date built: 1939c
Date first mentioned: 1939c
Road(s): Armagh Road