Lorcan O' Toole


Lorcan O’ Toole (1878 – 1951), a politician and G.A.A administrator for whom Crumlin GAA ground – Lorcan O’ Toole Memorial Park along with Lorcan O’ Toole Park and Lorcan O’ Toole Court is named after.

Born Laurence Toole in 23 November 1878 in Aughrim, Kilclonan, Wicklow to Luke Toole, a poultry dealer and Bridget Toole (neé Boulger). He came to Dublin when he was about 18 years age and was living in Lombard Street in 1901. One of the best known G.A.A administration in the county, he was secretary of the Old Dublin Leagues and was the Dublin Co. Board from 1901, being secretary from 1915 to 1940, when he retired. He married Mary Clarke on 15 August 1906 while working as an insurance agent and they were living on Lombard Street in 1911.
In 1908 to 1933, he was elected as a member of Dublin Corporation running for Sinn Fein. He was amongst the first members of a local authority to repudiate the British administration. He died in Dec 22. 1951 at St. Kevin’s Hospital survived by his wife Mary while living at 2 Westland Row.

In honour of his contribution to the G.A.A, it was decided to name the new GAA ground – Lorcan O’ Toole Park. The official opening and blessing of Lorcan O’ Toole Park(Pairc Cuimhneachaln Lorcain Ui Tuathail) by the Minister of Defence Boland, took place on Sunday 27th October 1957.  Minister Bland praised  D. Ferguson, contractor, on the excellent workmanship put into the construction of the park. The property covering 11 1/4 acres. was purchased by the Board in 1949 for £6,500 and the work so far has cost £30,000. The official opening was followed by a senior football challenge for the Gustal Gaolach Cup, presented by Mr. Sean O Braonan, former Cnairman of the Co. Dublin Board, and in which Dublln defeated Meath by 3-7 to 0-5 with 6000 people in attendance.

The road now called Lorcan O’ Toole Park, an extension of Stannaway Road was once called Stannaway Park. However the private house owners  of Stannaway park petitioned the corporation to change it to Lorcan O’ Toole Park in the pretence of honouring Lorcan O’ Toole, however it was done to differentiate it from the council houses on the rest of Stannaway road.




Person Photo
Connection with area: Secretary of the Dublin GAA County Board from 1915 to 1940 of whom Lorcan O' Toole Memorial Park, Park, Court was named after.